Thursday, August 28, 2014

Teachers We Love With Christina DeCarbo- Let's Keep It Real



Do you ever compare yourself to other teachers? 

You think: they have more followers, cuter products, better blog posts, and a prettier classroom.

Instead of Keeping Up With The Kardashians, you are keeping up with them.

I did this. I still do.

I wanted to be just like Cara Carroll, Babbling Abby, and Amy Lemons.

Who am I kidding?  I STILL want to be like these amazing teachers.  

Back in my first years of teaching, I would wonder 'How do they make it look so easy, cute, and perfect?'

My anchor charts ended up in the trash.  Students cried over my craft-ivities.  I cried over Power Point.  

I would teach a full day and stay up all night working on TPT products. I was forcing something that wasn't happening.

In all the comparison to others, I forgot to be me.

Long story short, I burned out quickly and my life became unbalanced.

Teachers will always be smart, crafty, talented, creative, funny and amazing.  That includes YOU TOO!

Be human. Share your insecurities and imperfections. Celebrate your unique talents and successes.

Simply put.  Be real.

Christina DeCarbo from the blog and TPT store Sugar and Spice, keeps it REAL. 

Christina manages newlywed life, a successful TPT store, a blog overflowing with ideas, and a classroom.

In today's episode of Teachers We Love, Christina is all HEART.

Here is a sneak peek! (below is the entire interview)


Christina shares how to stay balanced in a relationship despite a stressful career.  How to laugh at yourself when you make mistakes.  She puts TPT in perspective with helpful tips.  She also tells us how to shop a clothing sale.

   

Teachers, Tweet and Pin The Happy Out!

Tweet: Things are going to go wrong. You have to laugh at yourself and laugh with your students. Christina DeCarbo @sheilajteaching #edchat

Now I want to chat with you!  What is your favorite subject to teach?

Leave your comment below and take a few seconds to read and respond to a comment left by another Sheila Jane Teaching community member.   You never know how your comment or reply could brighten a day and make a difference.

Thank you so much for watching.  I look forward to seeing you below in the comments.

Sending you love and happiness,

Sheila Jane

6 comments:

  1. Social Studies is my favorite. I think math is my second favorite. It has slowly nudged ahead of reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Social Studies! When I look back on last year, my fondest memories had to be Colonial Day and The Living Explorer Museum. Social studies can really link together so many different subject areas. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
    2. We are going to try a living museum this year, so please fill me in on any tips and tricks you might have!
      (ps I'm second grade)

      Delete
  2. I teach at a Catholic school, so religion is my favorite subject to teach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I don't think I have seen you comment before. Welcome! Teaching religion must be very rewarding. Building values is critical with our students. What grade do you teach? I look forward to chatting with you again in the comments!

      Delete
  3. I know I am a little late to comment on this (since it was posted in August) but I was pursuing your blog and this post jumped out at me. I loved what you said about not comparing yourself to other teachers. I've literally thought the same thing about Cara Carroll and Babbling Abby (I wanna be just like them!). I think you made a great point that we should all be ourselves since we each have something special to contribute as teachers :)

    ReplyDelete

Sheila Chako
Sprinkle Teaching Magic