Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Open House, Community Week Continues, And Teacher Appreciation Fun!

Open House and Appreciation For Teacher Curriculum Innovators!

Tomorrow is Open House!  One step closer to the end of school.  This year my Open House is very different.  Usually I stick to a theme like Farm or Ocean and then all of the displays in my room relate to that theme.  I like to call this year a little of this and a little of that.  You will see what I mean as we start the Open House photo journey.

Students filled out this Open House writing page.  They drew the friends they play with at recess, made a list of important things they can do (sing, work, help, read, sound out words etc.) drew a picture of their favorite memory from the year (field trip to the farm, Coconut Day, Andy Z concert, etc) and students took their papers around on clipboards and had classmates write special words describing them.  Click the picture below to head to my TPT store and get your free copy of this)


Here kinders sit and think about what special word to write on their classmates paper.  After students wrote their word (nice, silly, smart, caring, hard worker...) they wrote their name.  I could tell students were beaming when they heard a classmate give them a compliment.  Warning:  before I had students do this part we brainstormed a list of words to choose from when giving compliments to classmates.  


Our Open House writing is proudly hung on the Writing Wall.  When parents read the paper they will really get a sense of their child's experience in kindergarten.  This writing activity was also a great reflection for me to see what the favorite events of the year students remember most vividly and to see what students can do.  Sometimes my perception is very different from what matters the most to them.  For example, one student wrote hula-hoop at the very top of his I Can list.  I can think of many other more academic ways this child has succeeded but to him hula hooping is the ultimate success.  Every day he practices hula hooping at recess and has become a hula hooping champion.  I am glad he can write this celebration on his paper!


I am extremely appreciative to the teachers on Teachers Pay Teachers and Teacher's Notebook who are creating amazing curriculum!  Here are some of my TPT favorites that will blow the socks right of the parents at Open House!  The kids loved these activities and cannot wait to show them off to their parents.

The Handwriting Fairy by Rachelle Smith.  Click the photo below and head to Rachelle's TPT store to pick up your copy of this cute activity! 


Students enjoyed reading the Handwriting Fairy story.  We then wrote letters to the Handwriting Fairy showing her that our handwriting is ready for first grade.  I have never seen my students more tuned in to their handwriting then they are now that the Handwriting Fairy is checking out their work at night.  We have spaces in between words, capitals in the right places, and writing that stays in the lines.  Love it! 

One of my FAVORITE TPT teacher curriculum creators is Babbling Abby.  I adore her materials and everything I have done in my class from her TPT store has been a huge success with my students!    Abby's 'Let's Get Pop-Rockin' comes with lots of great writing activities.  One thing I never want my kinders to feel limited by is thinking their words have to be correctly spelled.  VOICE in writing is huge to me!!!!  I make sure my kinders know that if they are thinking of a big juicy word to add to their writing but can't spell it, they should not choose a less juicy word that is easier for them to write.  We talked about how easy it would be to write Pop Rocks are cool, good, fun; but how boring that would be to read. Boy, once those pop rocks went in their mouth, they thought of a bunch of juicy words to describe pop rocks and used their fishy lips to sound out the word the best they could.  When a student only captured the first sound that was ok with me, and I took dictation for them.  This lesson is another reminder to me to NEVER underestimate a kinder, their vocabulary, and their imagination.  We had pop rocks exploding in mouths like volcanoes, and popcorn popping, and bubbles bursting.  AMAZEing.  Click the picture below to visit Babbling Abby's shop. 


Of course the fantastic Deanna Jump MUST make a cameo in this post if I am blogging about my appreciation for teacher curriculum innovators.  The day after Maurice Sendak died we read the book, Where the Wild Things Are  and enjoyed Deanna's Wild Thing craft and writing activity!  I made sure to put them up all crazy and wild!  Roar!!!!  Click the picture below to find this in Deanna's store!


We completed our symbols unit so our work will proudly be on display in an American Symbols folder.  I used Deanna's America Math and Literacy Fun unit and student's completed the Bald Eagle and Statue of Liberty.  The flag uses dot paint and oil pastels for the 50 stars.  


I love love LOVE Erica Bohrer!  Last week I brought my rabbit, Molly Sunshine, to our classroom.  Nibble nibble nibble.  Since we are getting closer to the end of the year I am reminding my kinders more and more how they are almost First Graders and how much they have grown and blossomed and become such amazing students.  Before I brought the rabbit in to school, students had to show me all the ways they are First Grade Ready!  I was desperate to find curriculum online about class pets and then Erica pulled through!!!!  She had a FREE TPT packet all about having a pet in your classroom.  I highly suggest checking it out if you are thinking of introducing a pet to your room next year.  We read Erica's Classroom Pet Rules.  We read books about rabbits and students completed Erica's Can, Have, Are rabbit paper.  After all of this hard work Molly Sunshine came to our room!  I hole punched and attached the papers to her cage so students can show their parents at Open House!  Students who continue to make good first grade choices get to feed Molly a carrot at recess.  WOW THIS IS WORKING!  Hello amazing rewards system for the end of the year! One day I will have to share more stories about Ms. Molly Sunshine.  She is quite the rabbit. (she even survived the year when a little boy duck taped her to the side of her cage and found my sticker stash and put stickers all over her.  Yes, this was when I was absent, and yes this story will forever live in infamy, and yes this happened WAY before I knew about Erica's Classroom Pet TPT pack!)  Click on the picture below to check Erica OUT!



Here is our classroom reflection board.  Students reflected on ME and our kindergarten classroom!  We have been practicing self portraits and labeling all year; now was their chance to try their skills out on their teacher!  After they drew a picture of me, they labeled words to describe me.  We brainstormed ideas using: Ms. Chako is...... With that simple start, students thought of lots of words (silly, big, happy, a teacher, my friend etc.)  The index cards you see around the pictures are words to describe our kindergarten class.   This was done on a separate day.  We thought of all the words that pop in to our mind when we think of our kindergarten room.   I love how this bulletin board is through the kinder's eyes and paints a picture of our classroom.  


I can't wait for Open House!  My students have been practicing their tour guide skills all week!  They are taking their tour guide job very seriously and are going to make sure their parents see and learn about every nook and cranny of our classroom.  


Community Fun Continues!

Rhyming Fire Trucks

 Short Vowel Apartment 

Police Badge Syllable Sort

 And my favorite is when the Community Book Homework projects are turned in!  I love to see the creativity, uniqueness, and hard work go in to these community books.



Check out my Community Unit.  Click below to find these activities!



 And last but CERTAINLY not least this week is Teacher Appreciation Week at my school.  Students brought in flowers from their garden today and one of my most amazing moms made this cute vase.  She hot glue gunned bright colored pencils to the outside.  The perfect gift for a classroom that brightens up the room.  LOVE IT!  


Have a great week, teacher friends!  Happy Open House! Thank you for reading this long post.  I just couldn't wait to share all this juicy stuff with you.


22 comments:

  1. I LOVE your reflection board! Thanks for sharing the Open House freebie! I have it in my files for next year. :)

    I hope you'll stop in & follow my blog!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! This was my first time doing a reflection board and it really helped parents see my classroom through their child's eyes. Love the name of your blog excited to check it out!

      Sheila

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I love your open house printable. I just had my Spring Exhibit tonight! I am so happy to be done!!

    Let me know if you want to write for Critters in the Classroom. The Molly story sounds really funny. Please, email me at EricaBohrer@gmail.com. Glad I could help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay congratulations to both of us for being done! I like the name of your Open House...'Spring Exhibit' sounds fancy and impressive. Would love to write for Critters in the Classroom. Just checked it out what a cute blog and idea. I will contact you this summer sometime after end of the year craziness calms.

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the shout out! You are so sweet to include me. I am in LOVE with the classroom reflection board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! You are super sweet for leaving a comment it SERIOUSLY made my day. I even called my mom when I saw...Our conversation went a little like this, "You will not believe who left a comment on my post?!?!" Good times. Open House was a great success! Thank goodness it is over and we are a hop skip and a jump away from summer. Oh and those pout pout fish in your newest blog post are a riot! The one pout pout fish in your post looks so haggard and ready for summer vacation just like me! Yikes! Love you and your teacher magic! Have a great weekend!

      She

      Delete
  4. Your lessons look awesome! :) Love seeing how your using all of the TpT resources with your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda that means a lot! I used to spend my time drooling over stuff at the Apple Store, and JCrew, and clothes and housing goods from Anthropologie now TPT is my weakness.

      Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope you are having a great end of the year and are able to start relaxation mode soon!

      She

      Delete
  5. Your open house looks amazing!! What great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Super glad it is over. The end of the year party you are having on your site looks fantabulous. What a fun idea.

      She

      Delete
  6. This post is filled with great ideas. Your new packet looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your little bit of this, little bit of that!! If were a parent I would be thrilled to see the wide variety of projects and learning my child was doing in your classroom. I am also spending the last bit of my school budget on TPT stuff this week so thanks for sharing all these awesome projects! My favorite part of this post must be your bunny in the classroom! Is your bunny a year round class pet? I have a pet bunny at home and now I'm thinking I may bring her in for a week or two sometime!! I just became follower 101 :)

    Stephanie

    FallingIntoFirst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie!

      So glad you stopped by my blog. Thank you for the sweet comment it really meant a lot. Fingers crossed the parents loved my Open House and my kids were the best tour guides! I love spending my school money on TPT stuff! Molly Sunshine the bunny is hilarious. I think she is more of a dog than a rabbit. Yes she is usually a year round pet. This year I moved districts so she actually lived with my mom for most of the year to have some bunny non-kiddo relaxation time. I brought her in to the classroom recently because my kids are much more ready to interact, appreciate, and help take care of a class pet. I think it is a GREAT idea to bring in your bunny for a little end of the year treat. I tied my bunny unveiling in as a sort of reward system and my kids are eating it up! I just may be able to coast through to the last day with fewer behavior problems thanks to Molly Sunshine and my students wanting to feed her carrots SO BAD. Only students making good choices get the chance to feed her a carrot.

      Thank you for becoming a follower! Going to hop over to your blog now!

      Sheila

      Delete
  8. Your parents are going to be thrilled with all the awesome things you have been doing in your classroom!
    Jen
    Jen's Kinder Kids
    Please come by & visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! Your comments always brighten my day. HELLO?!?!?!?! Your transportation centers look AMAZING! Love!

      She

      Delete
  9. I would love to be a fly on the wall in your room! It's always amazing to see what's going on and hanging around the room. The parents and students must love it!

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrsstanfordsclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. Open House was a huge success which is such a relief. This is why I love blogging we can all be flies on the wall virtually. Loved reading your post on blogging reflections. I started this blog a few months back and it is so fun to look back and see how far I have come. Cheers to both of us!

      She

      Delete
  10. Your Open House post floors me. You can so tell from all of your posts and work that you are one doozie of a teacher! That's why I just hooked you up with the One Lovely Blog Award. Check out my blog for the details.

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly!!!! What an honor. And paaaaahhh-lease! You are one doozie of a teacher. ; ) I love your blog and all of your ideas. Sending you lots of good healing and recovery time energy and a speedy return to your classroom!

      She

      Delete
  11. I would adore it get a child from your classroom for one of my Firsties! I seriously would fall on the ground in delight! We get kiddos that cannot even write their name or even the first letter in their name. What a blessing you are to those kiddos

    I have a bunny too! Would you be interested in maybe our bunnies being pen pals next year? It would have to be toward the middle of the year because I wait to give my kiddos time to be more mature before meeting my Houdini. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Statue of Liberty drawings. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Sheila Chako
Sprinkle Teaching Magic