Sunday, January 12, 2014

Happy Healthy Teacher Linky: Smoothies, Quick Lunch Idea, Walking





Hi, teacher friends! Feel free to link up your healthy successes each week and let's encourage each other.  Just snap quick pictures on your phone of any weekly health successes.  


I am all about the smoothie!  My typical craving after dinner is ice cream.  My small daily goal is to switch out ice cream for a healthier alternative.  A cool and creamy blended drink satisfies the naughty ice cream-craving indulgence.  My Vitamex blender was such a great purchase.  What a beast of a blender!  My go-to smoothie ingredients include kale, spinach, almond milk, bananas, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, and frozen raspberries.  Each time I vary these ingredients.  I make enough smoothie for myself and Mr. Winemaker.  I enjoy sipping my smoothie from a straw.  Smoothies are a great way to get fruit in my system.  I find incorporating vegetables in my diet way easier than fruit.  Go figure!  


A goal this week was to set aside time on the weekend to prep weekly lunches.  I kick myself as I rush out the door each week that I have nothing healthy to grab for lunch.  There is a delicious Asian restaurant close to work and my 'no lunch fall-back' is takeout.  Not only is this expensive but a restaurant lunch has added salt and bigger portions than a lunch from home.  Today I threw together an orzo salad quickly.  My local supermarket sells ground turkey in a variety of flavor combinations.  I picked out the Mediterranean variety.  I cooked the turkey, orzo, and toasted pine nuts up and chopped up some tomatoes.  I kept the dressing simple and squeezed in lemon, a dash of garlic salt, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.  YUMMY! 



I found some colorful microwave-safe Tupperware at Safeway.  Mr. Winemaker and I will have lunch to get us through for Monday and Tuesday.  Score!  Each week I hope to add in new easy recipes.  No more takeout lunch for me.  Actually this linky is all about reality and balance.  Let me rephrase my previous statement.  I will cut WAAAAYYY back on my takeout lunches and see if there are positive benefits to my waist line.  


I find squeezing in exercise challenging.  This weekend Mr. Winemaker and I got our exercise and grocery shopping in all at once.  Two days in a row we walked to the grocery store and carried our groceries back.  I enjoyed our chats.  I sweated a tiny bit.  I enjoyed getting out and breathing in fresh air.  Plus, carrying heavy groceries back is no easy feat.  I am hoping Mr. Winemaker and I walk more often!  


Please link up anytime this week.  Even just one picture with a quick caption helps us support each other on a healthy journey.  If you aren't sure about linking up this week, consider next Sunday!  See your then!


2 comments:

  1. Your smoothie sounds yummy--that's pretty much my go-to smoothie too! After hard workouts I like a big scoop of PB in there too...yum. :) Way to set healthy goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! I love your blog and you are such a healthy teacher inspiration! Great idea with the peanut butter. One treat smoothie I make once in a while is almond milk, frozen bananas, and peanut butter. Ohhhhhh sooooooo good and creamy. Love it!

      Delete

Sheila Chako
Sprinkle Teaching Magic