Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Monthly Q & A The Sprinkle Teaching Magic Way


Questions regarding my Classroom Management techniques come up often.  Classroom Management is a HUGE topic!  I will cover parts of my classroom management techiniques here on the blog and over on my Teaching Youtube Channel.

Today, I will talk about CEOs.  What are CEOs????

Years and years of scrapped behavior management ideas have led up to a system that is working magic in my upper elementary classroom. Student's desks are separated into groups of 6.  In years past, I used table points as a group incentive.  Teams would receive tally points for following classroom rules, productivity, transitioning quickly etc.  My table point tracking system was on the white board.  Each week I felt frustrated.  Was I giving too many points to one specific team?  Some days we were in such a frenzy I would forget to give team points altogether.  By the end of the week, I wondered if the system had meaning.  I felt pressure.  The system felt broken.  Whenever this feeling comes over me I know it is time to revamp.  I scrapped the table point system.

This year my CEO system works much better! My students apply for jobs each month.  This year I have four CEO job openings (one for each table group).  Just as the name implies, a student chosen for CEO is Chief Executive Officer of their table group.  This is a coveted job, so students must prove they are responsible to be considered for CEO.

CEOs are responsible for table points.  At the beginning of the month they make weekly tracking index cards.



Each group member's name is written on the index cards.   Throughout the day, if a student is showing exemplary behavior and effort I may say, "Johnny, point."  Quick and targeted response.  When the CEO at Johnny's table hears this, a point is immediatly tallied by Johnny's name.  Each point means the student will receive one raffle ticket.  I may also say, "everyone at Table Three receives a point for _________ (insert positive behavior)."  If a CEO hears, "Johnny, check" a check is placed by Johnny's name.  A check means two tickets are owed by the student.  For example, if a student blurts out, they recieve a check.  This happens fast, and then we move on.  We do not dwell on a negative check.  It is just a quick notice from me to adjust behavior.

At the end of the day, CEOs tally points and distribute the correct number of raffle tickets.  At the end of the week, CEOs tally points for the entire week.  The team with the most points wins and receives extra tickets.

Students collect tickets to participate in the end of the month raffle.  Students also need tickets for the bathroom and drinks of water.  Raffle tickets are the incentive and classroom curency.  I have tried a money system and decided it does not work for me.  I also tried Class Dojo.  No luck.   Raffle tickets work great!





CEO's are also responsible for making sure their team is running smoothly.  I meet with CEO's through out the month. We talk about leadership techniques such as the following: giving compliments, listenting, how to stay organized, how to talk with a peer that is frustrated or disengaged from the group.  CEO's learn and practice skills to lead small groups.  Some of my brightest students struggle with leadership.  Often, their bossy side surfaces or they lose patience when working with a struggling student.  The CEO position is an effective way to grow leaders.  Students are role models and lead by example.  The other members of the group respect their CEO.

On pay day, at the end of the month, CEO's receive a set number of tickets for a month of hard work.

I love this system and it works like magic for fifth graders.

What do I love about having a CEO at each table?

-I can be anywhere in the room or on campus with my class and give out points.  CEO's remember everything! No white board needed.  I can sit and work with a small group and give out points from where I am sitting.
 -I glance at the tally cards at the end of the day.  The cards provide instant data.
-I keep the index cards for my records.  Before a meeting with a parent I have instant behavior data to use in my notes.
-Student leadership skills are encouraged
-Students are capable of taking charge and running parts of our room.  Students take ownership, which builds community.
-The system is hands off and runs itself.  What a treat!  Current CEO's will train the CEO's for the following month.
-Students want to fit in and impress their peers.  When a student suggests a classmate should do something or encourages them,  the benefit of this interaction is the gold standard.



   




5 comments:

  1. I tried writing a comment, but it didn't work - take two!!
    This looks awesome, thanks for sharing, it's great to hear how other people do things.
    How to do ensure that the kids are being honest? What is stopping the CEO from giving a few extra points here and there to ensure that their team is the winning team at the end of the week, and therefore gets more tickets?
    Thanks!!
    Erin
    Learning to be awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. The program is launched with a strong emphasis on earning the privilege of being a CEO. Students write their job qualifications on a job application form. When deciding on the CEO I take into account the student's honestly and integrity as demonstrated in daily interactions with me and their peers. And finally I explain to the students that I operate on positive pre-suppositions. Most students want to please me. Students also know that they will answer to their peers when they misrepresent the facts. Classmates are like hawks and will sound the alarm if anything seems amiss. Erin, thank you for starting a dialog around this important topic. Your support means a great deal to me. Stay tuned.

      Delete
  2. Good question. The program is launched with a strong emphasis on earning the privilege of being a CEO. Students write their job qualifications on a job application form. When deciding on the CEO I take into account the student's honestly and integrity as demonstrated in daily interactions with me and their peers. And finally I explain to the students that I operate on positive pre-suppositions. Most students want to please me. Students also know that they will answer to their peers when they misrepresent the facts. Classmates are like hawks and will sound the alarm if anything seems amiss. Erin, thank you for starting a dialog around this important topic. Your support means a great deal to me. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tips Sheila! I give out tickets similarly to either individual students or whole groups for anything that I recognize as a desired behavior: transitioning quickly, working well together, etc. I have read about systems where students earn things and then have to give them up for things like bathroom, water, calling out etc. Have you found that this system works well and minimizes unnecessary water breaks, calling out, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Kathleen. Yes, the system is woking to greatly limit disruptions during instruction. The raffle tickets are coveted! Students make a point to use the restroom during recess and lunch. I have a few students that bring a water bottle. Some plan out how many tickets to set aside each raffle and not use. These tickets serve as a bathroom and drink stash. The raffle, CEO, point/check system puts the ownership and control in the students hands. I see them making choices and in charge of their learning. Happy weekend!

      Delete

Sheila Chako
Sprinkle Teaching Magic