Friday, October 10, 2014

FOUR No Cost, Under-an-Hour Teacher Halloween Costumes


It is that October dreaded feeling.  The students may have already started asking and guessing.

What will you be for Halloween this year? 

Like me, you probably think creating a costume is too complicated.  I end up avoiding costume decisions until the night before the Halloween parade at school.

Parent conferences? Organized. Report cards? Done. Halloween Costumes? I take the fly by the seat of my pants approach.   

Come on.  How about we try things differently this year.  

Let’s do Home-Made Halloween Costumes the no cost and done in less than an hour way.

Costumes must be-----

Comfortable to wear
Make students happy
Easy to assemble
AND Do Not have to be perfect

All made with things you have in your closet, in your garage, and with your office supplies.

Secret #1   Keep the Costume Simple

Secret  #2  An all black outfit is your costume canvas

Secret  #3  Use masking tape, safety pins, magazine pictures, construction paper, a hot glue gun

Secret  #4  Students add to your costume or interact with your costume   
                        -Students add word cards to the word wall
                       -Students find the pictures on the I Spy costume or the students could               
                        make the pictures that are on your I Spy list. 


Now you have the secrets for easy, cheap costumes, and are starting to get in the Halloween Spirit.  

Maybe just a little?  

I guarantee putting a costume on will boost your spirits.  How do I know?  It worked for me.

The years when I was most burned out and feeling overworked, I didn’t dress up and honestly wished I had worn a costume.  Stepping away from the stress and papers and putting my focus into a costume may have snapped me out of it.  A priority reset.

When all is said and done and your costume is put together, your students will remember YOU!  They won't remember the intricacies or your costume but they will go home with a huge Halloween grin.   

   

Do the Halloween Shuffle----- Walk to the closet and put on your black tights, black hat and black shirt .  Slap some things together, as I like to say, and just have FUN!

Leave a comment below and tell me about your favorite Halloween costume!  I can't wait to see you below in the comments.

Sending you love and happiness,

Sheila

3 comments:

  1. Cool Ideas, I am a Teacher Candidate in a 3rd grade classroom and don't know if we have Halloween but I am excited to dress up and show my teacher pride. I have been looking for ideas so this info came in handy, I don't have as much stuff as a teacher will have to get all this costumes together but will think about doing something similar. I will probably come up with a costume last minute!

    The Learning Educator

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittany! Thank you for commenting and watching the video. How exciting to be in a third grade classroom. Come back and let me know if you get to dress up and what you end up being. I am curious!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to dress up as a Word Wall. Thanks for these great ideas! I love that they are so quick, easy and cheap.

    ReplyDelete

Sheila Chako
Sprinkle Teaching Magic