Thursday, June 14, 2012

Long Time No Blog

The end of school and the start of summer vacation is a whirlwind blur of packing up my classroom, putting on a class celebration, saying goodbye to my dear sweet kinder class, a fancy dinner out with Mr. Winemaker to celebrate the end of school, his New Jersey family flying in, and then adventures to the coast/wine country/bbq fun/shopping and much more!  Head over to my other blog “She Said G Said” for a picture journey of our adventures!
It feels good to be back in the blog state of mind and back in the blog world.  I missed you!   
It feels like the last week of school was years ago!  What was I up to those last weeks?  Putting together gifts for my volunteers, principal, secretaries, and a gift for my students. 
I decided to put a different spin on volunteer gifts this year.  Instead of heading to a store to purchase something cutsie (that usually adds up and ends up out of my budget) or spending hours on Pinterest getting sucked into cute crafty ideas which would require computer ink and printing, I headed to my small outdoor garden.  Let me preface this by stating I have a love boarder-line obsession with succulents and over the years via gifts, thrift stores, and Ikea I have collected quite a few little pots.  The beauty of succulents is you can cut off parts of the plant and viola they grow a new plant.   Succulents are also incredibly hardy and require very little water.  Seriously,  no-green-thumb-no-worries succulents are user friendly.  My kinda plant, I tell ya!  Plus succulents are becoming quite popular especially as favors, bouquets, and even cake toppers at weddings!  Check out my Pinterest board devoted entirely to succulents!  Back to the volunteer gift… I took a scissors and snipped off succulent parts, planted them in soil, and I was done.  Easy as that.  I got so into it; I made a new succulent table centerpiece for my kitchen table, and I made my fantastic principal and secretaries their very own succulent collage. 
Process:
 IMG_1217       IMG_1218
IMG_1219

Final Product:
  IMG_1221         IMG_1223
IMG_1224

These gifts were a hit!  The special touch, they came from my garden, which made the creation even more special. 
As I thought about a gift for my students, I really wanted to give them a special memory of our kindergarten class that they could hang in their rooms.  When I first joined Pinterest, melting crayon art was the craze.  In fact I think melting crayon art was my first pin ever!  In the back of my mind I knew I wanted to try it out some day, and finally my seed of an idea/pin has come full circle. 
With the help of my fantastic volunteer moms, we purchased small canvases from Michaels.  Using leftover crayons from student’s crayon boxes and a few extra purchased crayon boxes, we used a knife to cut the crayons in half.  We taped two colors to each side of the canvas at the top.  This way students could pick their own colors and arrange them on the canvas the way they wanted without crayons rolling off.  Crayons were then hot glued to the canvas.  The blue painter’s tape was used at the bottom so the melting crayons would go over the tape.  This way we peeled of the tape and had room for students to write “I Love Kindergarten”, their names, and the date.
       IMG_1175 IMG_1176 2
Now for the best part of the entire art project!  Students came outside and helped melt their crayons with a blow dryer.  The colors were AMAZING!
IMG_1177IMG_1178
Here are some snapshots of the finished product! 
IMG_1227
IMG_1229

18 comments:

  1. These turned out fabulous. I didn't know what to do with all my leftover crayons. I guess there is always next year. Thanks for sharing.

    ✿Michele
    Miss Nelson's blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Left over crayons are the worst! I always feel guilty throwing them away but then never have enough room to save all of them. Melting crayon art is my go to plan from now on. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  2. Yay! So glad you are back! I love ALL of your gift ideas...so cute!
    Jen
    jenskinderkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! It feels good to be back. This is my first summer teacher blogging and I am excited to see how it unfolds.

      Delete
  3. Cute ideas and cute blog! I just discovered your blog and am your newest follower! I am a new blogger and would love for you to check out my blog!

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda!?!?!?!?! You just made my morning. I read your comment and went to check out your blog and I felt like a detective putting pieces together. At first I saw the greenish/yellow Madden in your blog header and I was like....ok. Then I look to the right and see Teacher's Club House and I was like.....hmmmmm I think I am familiar with this teacher. THEN IT HIT ME You are THE Amanda Madden!!!! I probably sound like a stalker but in all seriousness I have been following your teacher website since 2006!!!! You were the very first teacher I discovered online when I taught second grade and you quickly became my teacher friend Shannon and my favorite resource as well as a virtual teaching mentor of sorts. You are amazing! I am really glad you found my blog and I am super excited you have your own blog!!!!!! Best day ever! : )

      Now I need to pull myself together. See this is why I LOVE teacher blogging. AMANDA MADDEN has a blog! Yay!

      Delete
  4. I love the canvas art!! I've seen it on Pinterest.. I love how it turned out, and how each one is different!!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teri! Always love when I see a comment from you on my blog! The crayon art was a blast for the kids and I even found myself zoning off and mesmerized while I watched the crayons melt slowly down the canvas. So fun!

      Delete
  5. Love the crayon canvas art!!!!! What a unique end of year gift!
    Michelle @ Smitten With First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Loved visiting your blog. How clever!!!! 1,2 eyes on me and 3,4 eyes on you for your followers. Love it!

      Delete
  6. This is the most creative student end of the year gift I've ever seen! Very cute!!

    ❤- Stephanie
    Falling Into First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! We had a ton of fun doing it. Probably one of my kinders favorite memories...getting to melt their crayons!!!!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly! I love the idea on your blog for bling-ing up cereal containers and using them for pens, color pencils, and crayon storage. Brilliant!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope you are having a great summer!

      Delete
  9. The crayon melt turned out so cute, sort of an art project turned science experiment. I'm sure they had a blast! this year my group of kids could not keep track of their crayons and then there were several who like breaking them into tiny pieces. I don't think I would have had enough crayons for all of the kids. lol

    Kelly @I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this!

    I love stopping by your blog! Your passion for teaching and your kiddos shines through in your posts and the comments you make on other blogs. Thank you for being so a piece of sunshine here in Bloggyworld! =)

    BTW- I am having a HUGE Pete the cat giveaway that I would love for you to be part of. I also just posted lots of *freebies* you might be able to use with your kiddos...these are some of my kiddos favorites! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete

Sheila Chako
Sprinkle Teaching Magic